Social norms and cultural nuances are considerably different in Latin countries even though a flight from Calgary to Puerto Vallarta is only 4hours and 30 minutes or so on a good day.
So what are the things one should never do in Mexico
1) Never use your credit card and in particular never give your credit card information to any of the following organisations Sky, Dish nor telcel. If you cancel your contract and they are not providing a service they will just continue to take money from you. The client phone service is the worst I have had the misfortune to deal with in all three cases. The operators are extremely rude and unhelpful and take pleasure in being awkward especially when you can’t hold your own in Spanish.
2) I wasn’t sure whether to put this as number one but in the end decided this should be my second don’t. Do not have unprotected sex with a Mexican. Many of the cases of chlamydia which we see in Calgary have been acquired while on holiday in Mexico. Chalmydia fyi is a leading cause of infertility in young women.
3) Ladies always wear a bra. In Mexico visible bra straps are fine but nipples should never be seen. Mexican men stare until they almost fall over when they see a woman without a bra.
4) Do not engage in small talk with men you don’t know. A smile and conversation in Mexico is considered a sexual invitation and can lead to danger.
5) Don’t have sex with a married person because it is illegal and can land you in the slammer on the other hand prostitution is legal, so visits to bodellos are perfectly acceptable in Mexican society.
6) Same sex couples are tolerated in Mexico but homosexuality is also against the law. However there are many bisexual men in Mexico.
7) Never stop in the airport to talk to the Timeshare sales people it will take you on a diversion and waste valuable hours of your precious holiday.
8) As a woman never walk anywhere on your own. It is considered something folk of low social status do and is not well seen by local people.
9) Don’t worry! If a Mexican is drawing you into their confidence in business or on a personal level and tells you don’t worry, be very worried they will not come through on what they have promised you or will run off with your money.
10) For all the bad press and irresponsible journalism in the USA and Canada don’t stay at home! Mexico is still one of the best places to have a fantastic holiday. The food is great and very diverse, there is great Latin music, exotic things to see, gorgeous Oceans on both sides and sunny weather all year around.